How To Build Solar Panels?
Though there are many who would like to switch over to solar energy but the high cost of purchasing and installing the solar panels acts as a deterrent. With the following materials and a few step by step by instructions, one can build solar panels.
The materials that are required for building solar panels are the following -
1. A Plexiglas sheet of one-fourth inch thickness.
2. A table saw
3. A Plexiglas saw blade
4. Water proof silicone caulk
5. Power drill
6. Masking tape
7. Carbide tip drill bit
8. Solar cells
9. Electrical tape
10. Acrylic glue
The following instructions would serve to guide one to build solar panels -
• Cut the Plexiglas in the following dimensions using a table saw and the Plexiglas saw blade. The dimensions are two pieces each of size two feet by three feet, two inch by three feet and two inch by two feet.
• Place one two feet by three feet Plexiglas piece flat on a level surface.
• Position the two two-inch by three feet Plexiglas pieces vertically on the sides of the Plexiglas piece that is laid on the flat surface.
• Fill the interior edges with waterproof silicone caulk.
• Put the two inch by two feet Plexiglas pieces horizontally, one at the top and the other at the bottom of the two feet by three feet piece.
• Once again fill the interior edges with silicone caulk. These pieces would form a wall around the Plexiglas piece that has been laid flat.
• Leave the pieces of Plexiglas for the caulk to dry for a time limit of six hours.
• Drill a one fourth inch hole with the help of a one fourth inch carbide tip drill bit, on the top of the right wall of the Plexiglas at the top of the uncovered frame.
• Ensure that the area is covered with masking tape before the hole is drilled.
• Place the solar cells side by side in a row.
• Connect all the positive wires and negative wires on the back of the solar cells by twisting the wires in a clockwise direction to connect them.
• Wrap the connected area with electrical tape. Repeat the process till the entire positive and negative wires are connected.
• Push one positive wire and one negative wire through the hole that had been drilled. These wires can then be connected to the battery or to the AC inverter for use.
• Apply some acrylic glue to the top of the four Plexiglas walls.
• Place the remaining two feet by three feet Plexiglas piece on the wall.
• Keep aside for the glue to dry for five hours.
Place the solar panel in a sunny spot in the yard or on the roof, hook it up and the device is ready for use.