How to Build your Own Solar Panel?
Solar panel is the gadget used to trap the sun’s rays and convert them into usable power for our homes and industries. There are several types of such panels available in the market today and they vary in terms of shapes, colors and sizes. You need not be an electrical engineer to put together a solar panel and some basic carpentry skills and an ability to follow simple instructions are sufficient requisites.
The following is the list of items you need to gather before you embark on assembling a solar panel –
• Solar cell – this is the basic part of a solar panel and it is normally made of silicon
• Plywood – this is the normal plywood used in carpentry work. This will form the frame on which the solar cells will be affixed.
• Plexiglas – it covers the solar cells to shield them from rain and at the same time allow the sun to go through.
• Tin wire – this joins up the solar cells that make up the panel.
• Soldering wire for soldering the cells together
• Silicon caulk – to seal the panel
• UV-ray protective varnish to preserve the plywood.
• Woodscrew – to fasten the Plexiglas
• Simple carpentry tools-saw, soldering gun, paint brush glass utters screw driver etc
Upon obtaining the above mentioned items carefully follow the instructions given below –
1. Cut the plywood into a size that will be suitable for the solar panel you intend to build. It can be of any shape you desire and apply the UV varnish. Leave it to dry while working on the rest of the panel.
2. Apply flux on the solar cell for cleansing and for making the solder effective.
3. Join the solar cells by use of the tin wire and solder them together.
4. Use the silicon caulk to attach the joined solar cells on the plywood. There will be two terminal wires which will be left free. Drill two holes on the plywood and reroute the wires in such way that they will be on the opposite side of the solar cells.
5. Make a frame that can fit on the plywood that is holding the solar cells. Affix the frame on the plywood by use of the silicon caulk.
6. Drill holes on the Plexiglas and fasten it on the frame by use of the woodscrews. Use silk caulk to seal any gap that may be left any where to prevent water from reaching the solar cells.
7. Drill holes on the Plexiglas now covering the solar panel to prevent water vapor from accumulating within the panel.
8. Install your panel at a location where it will get enough sunlight. Connect it to a rechargeable battery and then to the appliance you intend to charge and that is the end of your task.